11th May, 2020
Dear Students, Parents and Guardians
St Ignatius College will open for classes (online) tomorrow, Tuesday, 12th May, 2020.
We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation. We will continue to exercise prudence and caution, prioritizing the health and safety of our Students and Staff. Based on current information, please review our latest updates:
Maintaining a Positive School Culture
As a Jesuit School, we operate from a position of love and compassion rather than of fear and panic in our pursuit of creating an environment that is healthy, safe and free from bias or discrimination. Worldwide and in times of viral outbreak, there has historically been an uptick in hysteria, fear, anxiety and insensitive remarks. The prudence that we have exercised in opening the school online on Tuesday Is driven by a number of factors. Some might be questioning why we have decided to begin teaching online. We have made the decision that it is in the best interest of the school community to begin online classes. The Board and the PTA Executive have affirmed for us that it is sound practice to resume classes online because we have to adapt to the changing times and continue to live out the mission as a Jesuit School. The reality of COVID-19 is not insurmountable to close all the avenues of learning. When we succumb to the virus we stop being creative and promote ingenuity which is a character of Jesuit Education.
• All standards of student conduct outlined in the St Ignatius College Behavioral Policy
remain in full effect during the time of distance learning. The unique circumstances of distance learning do not diminish your role as a member and representative of our community at all times and in all ways.
• You should keep the lines of communication open with your parents, teachers, and class teacher during this time of distance learning. Do not hesitate to reach out to your class teacher if you have a question or concern. Class teachers will will communicate about their availability and “office hours.”
• Announcements and Prayers will continue to be communicated to all students and parents/guardians, via our websites during the time of distance learning. You should maintain normal routines as much as possible:
• Continue learning during the working hours of a normal school day. Resist the temptation to sleep on regular basis.
• Continue school night study hours and maintain appropriate sleep.
• Complete academic work during normal school hours as best as possible.
• Continue to practice proper hygiene for health and wellness, including sleep.
• Sufficient sleep, regular physical exercise, and a healthy diet all help boost our immune systems to stay safe and healthy in the days ahead.
• Take regular breaks from screen time, and drink a lot of fresh milk where possible.
• Talk with your parents about how to approach socializing and connecting with your friends during this time.
For more information and updates, please visit our website on the online page or check with your child’s class teacher or directly call the Principal.
We appreciate your patience and understanding during this challenging time as we navigate the uncharted territory of COVID-19
ST. IGNATIUS COLLEGE
Fr. Kelly Michelo, SJ